So I’m over at my friends house, we randomly decide to make cake and then I’m looking through one of her recipe books for fun. I find this recipe and I kind of go, oh hey breakfast, bit healthier, maybe I’ll try that out. It’s currently in the oven at this moment and I am half-assed sure I reallllly messed up. It was really doughy, unusual in muffins for me. And I had trouble mixing it too, too much flour, not enough milk. Really concerned. Maybe it’ll be okay. But I have about 35 minutes of wait until I know if my attempt at healthy baking was a total failure. I shall continue after that.
14 minutes left to go. Look pretty decent actually. Smell a little too spinachy. Not enough cheese?
Out of the oven:
Taste test rating after cool down
Albeit I’m picky on my baking and my guest isn’t very picky at all when it comes to food. My main remarks are, I think it was a bit too much spinach, not enough cheese. Also, should’ve sprayed my paper cases with pam, because they stuck slightly. I added some butter to mine and we ate them while still hot. Pretty decent attempt and I also was missing some of the ingredients that add extra taste.
If you want to try this recipe out yourself:
- 30 g of butter
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 360 g of flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 250 g grated cheddar cheese
- 220 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 130 g baby spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 325ºF
- Melt butter in saucepan, then fry red onion until cooked. Set aside
- Place flour, baking powder, cayenne and cheese in a bowl
- Separately mix egg milk then add to dry mixture, beat with a handheld mixer
- Stir in onion and spinach until well mixed
- Spoon into paper cases in muffin pan
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
And good luck! Let me know how it works out for you, did you make your own changes? What are they?
In conclusion though, my healthy baking turned out pretty decent, the recipe was pretty good and a nice thing to have in the morning as a quick bite, or in a rush.
This post was inspired by The Daily Post Word Prompt; Healthy.
Until next time,