Ahh, the name itself makes me hungry and this picture does not help. At all. Every time I get the chance because of some event where I live, like most recently ribfest, and there is funnel cake, you bet I will eat some. I love it so much and it brings me joy, what can I say. It’s even better when you can make it yourself and have it whenever you want. So, look! A beautiful recipe to make it with! ^_^
Note: Transferred from previous blog; Meers2review
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- powdered sugar
- Whisk together all of the ingredients except for powdered sugar in a large bowl.
- Let the mixture rest for about 10 minutes and (option) pour into a measuring cup to make it easier to pour into the funnel.
- Heat oil in a skillet to about 365 to 370 degrees (or until when you let drops of water go in, it crackles).
- Pour about half of the mixture into funnel, covering the end with your finger (this is the messy part).
- Hold above oil and remove your finger, then quickly make circles in the oil using spiraling motion.
- Fry until lightly golden and then flip, then fry the other side until golden. Be careful when flipping because the oil is hot after all, I wear oven mitts).
- Remove funnel cake from oil and let drain on a paper towl.
- Garnish with powdered sugar, however much you want and add on whatever else like fruit slices, ice cream and cool whip.
- Remember, cooking with oil can be dangerous so be careful, use flour to put out any fires and call 911. Using a deep friar is also an option.
- Make sure heat isn’t too low or it can become soggy, too hot and the oil will let out little bursts, painful when they hit you.
- Sometimes I make blueberry sauce along with it since I’m too lazy to make strawberry sauce for some reason.
- And finally;
Happy baking and until next time,